Received this from Wes at EAA555. If you've read their monthly newsletter, you've seen how valuable Carl was to the chapter. He's contributed so much to the aviation community - his humor and hard work will be missed.

In Memory of Carl Bogardus and Mary Allison

Chapter friends,

I am very saddened to inform you that our friend, Carl Bogardus, was not able to overcome his recent medical problem. He passed away this morning, with his family nearby.

This is a severe blow to the local and national flying communities, his many friends, and of course his family. Carl was just a few days older than 70, and had only been retired from his education career less than four years.

I hereby choose to remember Carl as I saw him the very last time: Sharing his love of flying with wide-eyed strangers. That had been an endless pursuit of his for these last few years, and I can only hope that I can spend my final years so well.

Carl's family will be making arrangements in the coming days, and I will let everyone know as information becomes available.

I am requesting that people send me photos and stories about Carl for the next week or so, as I'd like to put out a newsletter in his honor. And of course, there will be much more to say and do in the weeks ahead.

I have also been informed that Mary Allison, wife of our long-time web editor Ken Allison, passed away earlier this month. She and Ken had been married for 55 years. Ken says that her care at Mesilla Valley Hospice was superb. The family would be most pleased if you could make a donation to MVH, or another charity, rather than sending flowers.

The last fifteen months or so have been difficult ones for our chapter. We've lost six people in that time, and I must admit that each of these somber announcements has been a little harder to compose than the previous one. But I am also awed by the many wonderful things these departed friends accomplished in their lives.

With profound sorrow,
Wes Baker
President, Chapter 555, Experimental Aiircraft Association
Las Cruces, NM