NMPA Membership and Log On (at left) is required to post messages. Non Members have read only access. Join NMPA now! For HELP using the Forum, see Instructions
Topic Options
#1241 - 07/09/17 10:08 AM Runway Condition?
bryanferrer Offline

Hello, can anybody please provide a runway condition report? I'm considering landing there in my RV-6.

I noticed that the airstrip briefing recommends against wheel pants. Is this for preventing damage from the gravel? I've found that my wheel pants and fairings (paint already scratched from backcountry landings) take the first hits and maybe protect the wing or flap underside from gravel damage.

Thanks
Bryan

#1242 - 07/10/17 12:11 PM Re: Runway Condition? [Re: bryanferrer]
ronkeller Offline
enthusiast

Bryan,

I just finished mowing Besley Airstrip on Saturday.
The gravel is really packing down nicely now, and there is some vegetation all along the runway length. I mowed down to 4-6".
Wheel pants are your call, we just advise against for any backcountry strip. On this past Friday, Larry was finally able to see the trail to the Gorge, accompanied by a retired BLM archeologist and our NMPA Safety Chair. He says it's outstanding, and is 2.5 miles long from the south end of the runway. If you have a folding mountain bike, you could ride the 1st 1.5 miles, then hike 1 mile to the Rio Grande. It is about a 700-800' drop, and is not for beginners. Larry is scheduled to be there for the fly-in, and can tell you about the trail. I'm going also and keeping my fingers crossed for good WX.