NMPA Membership and Log On (at left) is required to post messages. Non Members have read only access. Join NMPA now! For HELP using the Forum, see Instructions
Topic Options
#1122 - 04/15/15 07:00 PM Attractions
Skip Offline
enthusiast

Local Attractions can be added here.

#1218 - 10/24/16 11:47 AM Re: Attractions [Re: Skip]
larryfilener Offline

enthusiast

Besides just being a pretty spot, the big attraction is the Rio Grande Gorge which is about a mile due east from the strip. Ron and I are going to make a trip there later this year and check out if any trails are available.

#1240 - 07/09/17 10:03 AM Re: Attractions [Re: larryfilener]
bryanferrer Offline

Hi Larry,

My wife and I are considering flying in this weekend in my RV-6. We are interested in a hike to the gorge rim, and if trails exist, down to the river. You mentioned you were looking for trails back in October. What did you find?

Thanks
Bryan

#1245 - 07/18/17 03:13 PM Re: Attractions [Re: bryanferrer]
larryfilener Offline

enthusiast

On the weekend of the 7/8/17, several of us met with an ex BLM employee who guided us to a trailhead on top of the canyon that goes to the bottom of the Rio Grande Gorge. The trailhead is 2.5 miles from the southern edge of the strip.

It would be important to specify that the trail that goes down into the canyon is narrow, steep and has lots of loose gravel and rocks. So caution is advised.

We have talked with the owner of the Besley Airstrip, and this fall, we will mark the route from the airstrip to the trailhead.

Thanks also to Ron K. who spend the entire weekend getting the airstrip ready for the annual flyin.

Regards, L