NMPA Membership and Log On (at left) is required to post messages. Non Members have read only access. Join NMPA now! For HELP using the Forum, see Instructions
Topic Options
#1020 - 08/14/14 07:41 AM MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN
Clay Phillips Offline
enthusiast

Just a reminder that the Mystic Bluffs fly-in is scheduled for Saturday 23 August. We will attempt to do a recon of the runway a few days prior to the fly-in to assess conditions on the ground. Given all the rain this monsoon season it may be a mud bog and we'd have to cancel. Watch for emails and forum posts as we get closer to the date.
Also, I wanted to amend our calendar post about recommended practices at Mystic Bluffs. Earlier I suggested that due to terrain that it was not possible to land on runway 6. That isn't true. It is possible if you fly a very slow close-in base leg, or alternatively you can fly over to Ramah first and make your descent through the canyon with a right turn to final on 6. Just be aware you won't be able to see the runway until you are on final. If the winds are favorable, the ideal would be to land 6 and take off on 24. That would have you landing uphill and taking off downhill with the added benefit of avoiding the power lines at the approach to 24.
Clay

#1022 - 08/14/14 12:04 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: Clay Phillips]
Clay Phillips Offline
enthusiast

Hi Folks,
This just keeps getting better. The sponsor, Mr. Perry Null wants to add a flour bombing contest to the fly-in, with prizes for best accuracy. The concept would be that everyone attending and wanting to participate should bring 1 flour bomb with them and drop it as they are arriving. I'll put more word out as I know more, but the target will likely be on the downwind leg to runway 6.
Also, the runway has been graded so unless there is rain the day before, it will probably be a "go".
See the event calendar for more information on hazards at this strip.
Clay

#1023 - 08/19/14 08:31 AM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: Clay Phillips]
cathymyers Offline
enthusiast

Another great fly out opportunity this coming weekend to Mystic Bluffs ! Check out the event calendar on the NMPA Web Site.
Safe Journey and Enjoy.

#1024 - 08/20/14 07:24 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: Clay Phillips]
Clay Phillips Offline
enthusiast

After speaking with Mr. Perry Null this afternoon, despite the rain NM has had this monsoon season the fly-in is still a "go". The runway has been graded and regraded and some rocks at the west end of the runway have been removed. A shelter area with fire ring has been constructed, and the parking area has been expanded to accommodate up to 20 aircraft. There will be sausage brought up from Texas, grilled over the fire ring, for breakfast. Anyone wishing to camp under their wing is welcome to fly out on Friday, as a portapotty will also be available.
The flour bombing contest is also a "go". A white ring painted on the ground about mid field on the downwind leg to runway 6 will be the target. Someone will be on the ground nearby and on the radio to score the hits. Drop your bomb on the downwind leg of your landing pattern.
There will also be folks on the ground to help push airplanes into their parking positions, so taxi over to the parking area and someone will direct you to your space. After shutting down those same folks will help push you into your spot. From there you will simply taxi out to runway 24 and depart so no one will have to move an airplane to let someone out.
Again, unless the winds dictate otherwise, USE LEFT TRAFFIC TO LAND RUNWAY 6, AND DEPART RUNWAY 24. This will avoid the hazard of the power lines at the approach to 24, plus you will have the added benefit of landing uphill and taking off downhill. It is also recommended that you touch down about mid field on runway 6 and roll up to the parking area. The runway is a bit over 5000 feet, so you will still have about 2500 feet to land and stop.
There is no published CTAF, but there is a UNICOM frequency of 123.0, so use that to make your position calls.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there,
Clay

#1025 - 08/23/14 11:15 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: Clay Phillips]
J Woods Offline

enthusiast

Loc: Albuquerque
Thanks to Perry, Sandy, and Jason Null, Cynthia Crawford, and many other locals that turned out to make it such a wonderful morning. What a beautiful place! The landing strip was in terrific condition. Resident deer and coyotes appeared to take an interest as well!

A photographer from the Gallup Independent took great interest in the aircraft and event - so watch for it!

Thanks to Clay Phillips for your leadership to organize all these great Fly Ins this year!

#1026 - 08/24/14 07:49 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: J Woods]
Clay Phillips Offline
enthusiast

A special thanks to Perry and Ryan from Clay and Terry Phillips for helping us to get home after our mechanical difficulty. You guys were generous to a fault.

#1027 - 08/28/14 02:32 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: Clay Phillips]
J Woods Offline

enthusiast

I posted some photos in a new album from the 2014 Mystic Bluffs Fly In. Enjoy!

http://www.nmpilots.org/album_frame.asp?menuID=21~21

#1029 - 09/05/14 03:31 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: J Woods]
paulbarry Offline

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

#1030 - 09/08/14 01:43 PM Re: MYSTIC BLUFFS FLY-IN [Re: paulbarry]
J Woods Offline

enthusiast

Cable Hoover, chief photographer from the Gallup Independent attended and published some really nice photos. Go to their photo gallery and search on "pilots" or try copying this link to your web browser:

http://gallupindependent.photoshelter.com/search?I_DSC=pilots&I_SDATE%5BMM%5D=08&I_SDATE%5BDD%5D=20&I_SDATE%5BYYYY%5D=2014&I_EDATE%5BMM%5D=09&I_EDATE%5BDD%5D=01&I_EDATE%5BYYYY%5D=2014&I_CITY=&I_STATE=&I_COUNTRY_ISO=&I_ORIENTATION=&I_IS_RELEASED=&I_IS_PRELEASED=&_CB_I_PR=t&_CB_I_PU=t&_CB_I_RF=t&_CB_I_RM=t&I_SORT=RANK&I_DSC_AND=t&V_ID=&G_ID=&C_ID=&_ACT=search